NecstGen and Aarhus University Collaborate in Groundbreaking Initiative for GMP-Compliant Stem Cell Production
Leiden November 16th, 2023 — NecstGen, Netherlands, a pioneering biotechnology center and non-profit CDMO specialising in Gene and Cell therapy, is proud to announce its groundbreaking collaboration with the Center for Gene and Cellular Therapy at Aarhus University Hospital (AUH), Denmark. This partnership aims to advance the production of mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) for experimental clinical use, ushering in a new era of advanced therapies and medical breakthroughs.
Mesenchymal stromal cells hold immense promise for regenerative medicine due to their remarkable ability to regenerate damaged tissue and regulate the immune system. However, their large-scale production while complying with strict Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) standards has remained a challenge. NecstGen and AUH’s Center for Gene and Cellular Therapy are joining forces to address this challenge by introducing bioreactor-driven GMP-compliant MSC production processes.
Key Highlights of the Collaboration:
- Advanced Bioreactor Use: Utilizing advanced bioreactors, the partnership will enhance MSC production, ensuring large-scale availability for clinical trials.
- Strict GMP Adherence: Commitment to GMP standards guarantees the highest quality of MSCs, crucial for clinical use and future therapy commercialization.
- Faster Clinical Trials: The initiative aims to fast-track the development of therapies for conditions like degenerative diseases and immune disorders through efficient MSC production.
- Global Patient Impact: The collaboration is poised to make a substantial contribution to regenerative medicine, offering new treatment avenues for patients worldwide.
- Scientific Excellence: Both entities are united in their pursuit of excellence, with a common goal to revolutionize healthcare through innovative cell therapies.
Dr. Melissa van Pel, Head of Cell Therapy at NecstGen, expressed her excitement about the collaboration, stating, “This partnership marks a significant milestone in the field of regenerative medicine. By combining our expertise with AUH’s Center for Gene and Cellular Therapy, we are poised to make substantial advancements in the production and clinical application of mesenchymal stromal cells.”
Dr. Bjarne K. Møller, Director of AUH’s Center for Gene and Cellular Therapy, added, “Our shared commitment to GMP compliance and rigorous scientific standards ensures that the MSCs produced through this collaboration will meet the highest quality and safety requirements. We are excited about the potential of this research to benefit patients in the near future.”
The collaboration between NecstGen, NL, and AUH’s Center for Gene and Cellular Therapy represents a leap forward in the field of regenerative medicine. Together, they aim to drive innovation, accelerate clinical development, and ultimately provide new hope for patients seeking advanced treatments for challenging medical conditions.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Head of Business Development
Phone: +31 6253 44 672
The Netherlands Center for the Clinical Advancement of Stem Cell and Gene Therapies (NecstGen) comprises a state-of-the-art facility for development and GMP manufacturing of Cell and Gene Therapies. NecstGen additionally offers cleanroom rental, Quality Control services and a Qualified Person to allow organisations to maintain control of production while de-risking the capital investment required to do so.
About Aarhus University Hospital’s Center for Gene and Cellular Therapy:
The Center for Gene and Cellular Therapy at Aarhus University Hospital is dedicated to advancing the field of regenerative medicine through research, development, and clinical applications. Its mission is to bring cutting-edge therapies to patients with unmet medical needs.